Yesterday, Huddersfield Magistrates heard how a West Yorkshire steel fabricator flouted SSoW measures when a worker was severely burned in a flashover during hot-cutting work at Fox’s Biscuits factory in Batley in February 2012.
Training needs to concentrate not only on Safe Systems of Work (SSoW) but also on self-rescue procedures and putting measures in place to avoid the need for having rescue teams placed on standby in the first place.
PASS Training has appointed experienced confined spaces and breathing apparatus specialist Andy Richford as business development manager.
Gas detection maintenance has fuelled growing demand for gas detection equipment wherever hazardous levels of gas may be found. Employers need to train workers to use, maintain, and calibrate gas detection equipment safely, whether portable or fixed.
Most trenches move in and out of confined space mode on an hourly basis. You do not always need a gas detector or a pump, but you do always need to know when you need one.
Michael Millward, a thermal engineer for SSI, recently attended a confined space training course with PASS and was full of praise for the facilities, the quality of training and the overall experience provided.
Asphyxia, gas poisoning, fumes, fire and explosions are common hazards so employers and employees need to be aware of the Confined Spaces Regulations 1997.
A man has been killed after suffering severe third-degree burns after the environment inside a methane gas dome he was working in ignited, causing an explosion.